University of Alberta campus: aerial view of buildings and trees.

General statistics

Students who identify as Indigenous 2 to 4.99%

Indigenous languages

Courses offered Other

Mandatory courses

Yes, for certain faculties or programs Programs offered by the Faculty of Native Studies; Faculties involved in combined degree's with Native Studies, or with a Native Studies minor, or with certificates in Aboriginal studies. We also offer studies in the PhD and Master level through the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.We also offer the Transition Year Program that assist students in qualifying for degree programs.Program information can be found in the University of Alberta calendar

The Faculty of Education offers EDU 211 that is required for all students in the BEd program (and has been for 4 years).

There is also a unique program dedicated to preserving Indigenous languages,CILLDI is the Canadian Indigenous Languages and Literacy Development Institute,

Courses are offered by CILLDI and the Faculty of Native Studies. Courses by CILLDI can be found on their website under program information. Native Studies courses can be found in our Calendar under the subject NS. Courses can be reviewed in the University of Alberta calendar,

Financial support

Graduate fellowship
Emergency funds

Financial guidance

Financial Support advising is offered to indigenous students and includes all government (federal and provincial) loans, RESP, and Government Grants. We also advise on the merit based programs (University and Government) available to indigenous students. The advising supports are available at both the Aboriginal Student Services Centre and Student Connect and increased financial literacy programming is planned for the next academic year.


On-campus housing/student residences
Academic counselling
Child care


Social or cultural events
Gathering space
Elder engagement
+ Other

Student groups, talks, presentations to inform about grad programs